Thursday, July 17, 2008

BED STUY FARMERS MARKET



GRAND OPENING FARMERS MARKET starting this Friday July 18th, 12-6 pm on Malcolm X Blvd between Marion & Chauncey Street. You will be able to buy veggies and fruits...for now - but, in the next week or so we will have fish vendors and bakers and hopefully fresh flowers will follow (that would be great!). This is our chance to enhance our quality of life in the food area for Stuyvesant Heights. Lets support our new farmers market...other communities do it all the time!!! Why go all the way to Park Slope, Court Street or Union Square when we have a market right here.

Everyone should buy at least 1 or 2 items every Friday, I will.

For more information, contact 718-363-3085.



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's about time, I will support

Anonymous said...

We will support the market as well. But, will Friday produce enough traffic to sustain the growth of the market? Do most people return home from work after 6pm? Is Saturday not an option?

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I hope Friday will produce enough traffic to sustain the growth...not sure if they will be out on Saturday...I mean it is ideal for a market to appear on the weekends.

Anonymous said...

just came from the market it's pretty good, they only had 3 booths but will hv more next wk. I bought my 7 dollars worth now I just need to figure out how to cook greens. Can anyone help?

Anonymous said...

I was there today as well. And they'll have fruits next week!

As far as your greens, it depends on the type. If you bought the callalo, cut up the greens, wash them WELL, lightly saute some yellow onions and garlic in olive oil, then toss the callalo into the pot/pan until it gets tender. Like collards, they can take some time to cook...but the results are lovely. While they cook, feel free to add other seasonings for taste (black pepper, salt, cayenne, whatever...) depending on how you like your food.

Anonymous said...

CJ, thanks for the tip

Berkmen

Anonymous said...

Fridays are great that's when I get paid. It's very convenient.

Anonymous said...

Tried looking for a website but all I found was a myspace page. http://www.myspace.com/malcolmxblvdfarmersmarket

Didn't buy any veggies but purchased some baked goods. The unsweetened peach pie was terrific. Will come back this Friday for sure.

Anonymous said...

I bought the mix berry pie...and it was GOOD!!! I think I will go this Friday and buy those really HUGE zuccini...however you spell it :)